Tips When Buying Heavy Duty Casters
Casters and wheels have become very important in the past decade. It allows people to move and carry heavy objects without the need of much manpower. Depending on the size, design, and quality, a single person can even move tons of materials just relying on installing heavy-duty casters or wheels. Therefore, many people see to it that they have heavy-duty wheels for their factory and business operation. If you are planning to order casters or wheels, here are the things you have to consider.
1. Material – There are different materials used for casters or wheels. The most common are steel, rubber, polyurethane, and aluminum. Steel casters are popular for heavy loads although there are heavy-duty casters made of other materials that are capable of similar heavy loads.
2. Size – Size is not just being big or small. It refers to the dimension of the wheel from its circumference to the thickness of the wheel. If you need to move tons of materials, make sure you go for bigger size casters. You do not want to damage the materials you are moving or the carrying equipment just because you used wheels with the wrong dimension.
3. The number of wheels – Single wheel is often common but there are many people ordering dual wheels in order to support heavier loads with ease. By using dual wheels, you can distribute the weight to both wheels making the operation easier and safer. If you order custom heavy-duty casters or wheels, it is even possible to order more wheels.
4. Type of wheel – The type of wheel is often based on the material used for the wheel. So your options are mostly steel casters, phenolic wheels, cast iron steel wheels, elastomer wheels, and thermoplastic rubber wheels. There are plenty more options and you just have to ask the manufacturer on the different types of the wheel they can produce.
5. Wheel accessories – Wheel accessories must also be considered. This often focuses on locks such as floor locks, top lock and brakes like pedal brakes. You can also choose total lock brakes and four-position swivel locks.
6. Price – Unless you have an unlimited budget for the steel casters, you must inquire about the price and see if it meets your budget. You might need to consider another manufacturer or change the type and dimension of the wheels just so you can afford the order without breaking your financial resources.
7. Use – You must determine where you will install the wheels or how it will be used. How you use it can determine the wear and tear as well as the capacity or strain the wheels will undergo. You do not want to have to change the wheels once every month just because they keep getting damaged. The wheels must support at least a year of use so you can get the most out of what you’re paying for the wheels.
Steel casters or wheels are still very popular today. However, with the latest technology, other types of casters are now capable of handling similar load as steel wheels.